Water Treatment Management
Many water systems require some form of additional treatment program in order to work effectively and to prevent excessive levels of scale, corrosion and build up of sediments, as well as to maintain bacteria levels within acceptable limits. This is specifically the case with cooling towers, evaporative condensers and systems such as rainwater harvesting and grey-water recycling. In addition, though, it can also be the case that domestic water systems have some form of additional treatment added for a variety of reasons.
The range of different treatment options that are available can be overwhelming and it can be a considerable task to determine the most suitable and cost effective option in any particular scenario.
Treatment options can comprise but not be limited to any one or combination of the various methods listed below:
- Liquid chemical dosing via pumps with controlled feedback loop and individual sensors;
- Liquid chemical dosing with pumps via timers;
- Dosing of solid chemicals from dispensers or brominators;
- UV treatment;
- Reverse osmosis.
Selection of the most appropriate water treatment management system is vital in ensuring The growth of bacteria in water systems is a common cause of potentially-fatal Legionnaires’ disease. Recent outbreaks of Legionella have highlighted the need for stringent water hygiene risk mana... More standards.
What are the benefits?
Employing a third party consultancy such as the S2 Partnership, when deciding on a specific water treatment/control program on site can have the following benefits:
- Making the wrong decision can be very costly in the long run and is often only discovered with the aid of hindsight when it is too late. S2 Partnership consultants have a wealth of knowledge and experience of both water treatment and water hygiene control programs and their independence and impartiality will help site make the right decision and avoid choosing unsuitable costly options which ultimately may not work to their satisfaction.
- The whole process of implementing new strategies can be very time consuming and take away from any site/facilities manager’s core duties. The S2 Partnership, as independent third party consultants, can shoulder much of the burden and ensure that the whole process from initial planning and design, through to implementation, installation and testing of any new strategy is as quick and hassle free as possible.
How can the S2 Partnership help?
The S2 Partnership provides a comprehensive consultancy service from initial design stages through to the final stages of installation/implementation of any new strategy which involves the following:
- Initial desktop exercise at the design stage to ensure that all possible viable options are considered. Detailed analysis of the pros and cons of each option will be outlined;
- Costings/feasibility study carried out for each potential option considered. Lifetime costings can be presented, outlining not only initial capital expenditure, but also ongoing costs such as routine maintenance, energy requirements, waste disposal costs etc;
- Sourcing and vetting suitable contractors, putting together tender proposals and reviewing any potential tender submissions;
- Overseeing the installation of any new technologies and monitoring contractors during the installation/hand over period
- Ongoing and additional monitoring of any new strategy;
- Updating policies, procedures, method statements and risk assessments to reflect all relevant changes.
For clients subscribing to RiskWise, reports (including any logsheets and actions) are uploaded directly to RiskWise, prompting an email notification to the site representative of the new report being available.
For clients without RiskWise, reports are issued directly by email to the client representative with the option of hard copies being posted on request.
The S2 Partnership is a member of the Legionella Control Association, delivering key services including risk assessments, consultancy, training and analytical services.
Please contact us for more information.