ISO 45001 Published
The first global standard for occupational health and safety management, ISO 45001 has now been published by the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO). ISO 45001 will replace OHSAS 18001, the former standard for workplace health and safety.
The purpose of the new international standard is to provide organisations of all sizes and all industries with a robust framework of processes and guidance to improve workplace health and safety.
ISO 45001 now follows a similar structure to other ISO management systems standards, ensuring a high level of compatibility with the new versions of ISO 9001 (quality management), ISO 14001 (environmental management) and ISO 27001 (information security).
What organisations with OHSAS 18001 need to do:
- Companies will have 3 years to comply with the new standards
- Organisations making the switch will need to carry out a gap analysis of the new standards to identify where there are changes in clauses and requirements between the OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001
How S2 can help:
- Carry out a gap analysis of existing management systems to identify what measures will ned to be taken to transfer to the new standard
- Assist in updating policies to be in line with ISO 45001 standards
- Carry out independent audits of management systems, identifying potential nonconformities prior to a certification audit
- Now that the OHS management system is aligned to ISO 14001, 9001 & 27001, S2 can assist in integrating management systems within an organisation
- Assist companies in implement a new occupational health & safety management system in line with the requirements of ISO 45001.
The new standard is intended to bring about a general culture change and increased competence in occupational health and safety across organisations. To find out more about how S2 can help, please contact us.