Water Sampling & Testing
What is it and why is it required?
ACOP L8 requires that Legionella samples are taken from all cooling towers on a quarterly basis and that the biological quality or Total Viable Count (TVC) of the cold water feed to the cooling tower is tested quarterly.
It is also considered best practice, and many Environmental Health Officers also request that, monthly biological quality samples be taken from cooling towers.
Again, although not a legal requirement, it is also considered best practice to carry out a six monthly analysis of TVC, E.Coli and Coliforms of all cold water storage tanks which supply drinking water.
What are the benefits?
Regular biological monitoring of a building’s water services can be of benefit in the following ways:
- Detailed trend analysis to aid in the better management of the water systems;
- Highlights minor issues with the water quality/water hygieneThe growth of bacteria in water systems is a common cause of potentially-fatal Legionnaires’ disease. Recent outbreaks of Legionella have highlighted the need for stringent water hygiene risk mana... before they escalate into more serious widespread problems;
- Ensures peace of mind and increased confidence that the water management and water hygiene control programs are working effectively on site;
- Provides a tool to report positive compliance to clients and other stakeholders.
How can the S2 Partnership help?
The S2 Partnership can provide comprehensive monitoring/sampling program for all buildings water services to include:
- Quarterly Legionella analysis of cooling towers (this can specifically target problem areas such as dead-legs or little used plant);
- Quarterly microbiological analysis of cooling tower make-up water;
- Six monthly TVC, E.coli and Coliform analysis of cold water storage tanks which supply drinking water;
- One off analysis of any system or outlet to try and identify trends or highlight possible problems on site;
- Emergency sampling in the event of a suspected case of Legionnaires’ disease;
- Follow up reporting to clearly explain the meaning of all laboratory results obtained and to help site find the most cost effective solutions when sample results are non-compliant.
The S2 Partnership is a registered Legionella Control Association provider of water hygiene management services including risk assessments, consultancy, training and analytical services.
Please contact us for more information.