Water Hygiene Management System
What is it and why is it required?
In order to suitably and sufficiently control risks, it is essential to implement a comprehensive water hygieneThe growth of bacteria in water systems is a common cause of potentially-fatal Legionnaires’ disease. Recent outbreaks of Legionella have highlighted the need for stringent water hygiene risk mana... management system. First and foremost, any such management system should reflect the level of risk, as determined by a site-specific water hygiene risk assessment, and any recommendations as to how best to control those risks as made therein.
A suitable and sufficient management system should include a site-specific water hygiene log book which would ideally incorporate (but is not limited to):
- defined areas of responsibility;
- a scheme of precautions detailing suitable and sufficient planned preventative maintenance regimes;
- procedures to adopt in the event of an emergency;
- log sheets for keeping records of any planned preventative maintenance undertaken in accordance with the scheme of precautions;
- a water schematic drawing;
- appointed M&E/water hygiene contractor records of competency;
- water treatment chemical COSHH data sheets; and
- copy certification pertaining to water sampling/analysis.
What are the benefits?
Clients can rest assured in the knowledge that:
- they have met their respective legal obligations in assessing risks within the workplace;
- suitable and sufficient controls have been identified which will manage those risks which cannot be eliminated; and
- there is a reduced risk of proliferation and spread of Legionella and other harmful waterborne bacteria.
How can the S2 Partnership help?
The S2 Partnership’s highly-qualified and experienced water hygiene consultants undertake all types of site-specific domestic water hygiene risk assessments and, based on the findings within any such assessments, formulate site-specific water hygiene management systems which are designed to ensure health & safety and legal compliance.
The S2 Partnership is a registered Legionella Control Association provider of water hygiene management services including risk assessments, consultancy, training and analytical services.
Please contact us for more information.