Water Hygiene Consultancy
What is it and why is it required?
On occasion, site and facilities managers may decide to implement different water hygieneThe growth of bacteria in water systems is a common cause of potentially-fatal Legionnaires’ disease. Recent outbreaks of Legionella have highlighted the need for stringent water hygiene risk mana... strategies or install new equipment to manage or monitor the Legionella control activities on site. This situation occurs more frequently, as new technologies are brought to market which can improve water hygiene control. Typically, new strategies are also designed to ensure greater environmental compliance with regard to energy and water consumption and minimising any potential waste streams off-site.
Some common examples of such strategies and new treatment methods which have gained popularity over recent years include:
- rainwater harvesting;
- greywater recycling;
- UV treatment of domestic water systems;
- solar heating of domestic hot water;
- dry chemical addition for cooling towers; and
- sonification treatment of cooling tower water.
At the initial design and implementation stages it is key that a thorough costings and feasibility study is carried out, so that all the possible options are considered and all the pros and cons of each option are weighed up to ensure that the right decision is made.
Typically, alternative quotes are sought from a number of different suppliers and these are then reviewed and given due merit based on price and level of service offered.
In our experience, employing a third-party, independent consultant at the initial design stages, through to the final stages of installation and implementation, saves not only time, money and inconvenience in the long-run, but also ensures that all alternatives are considered from the outset, with the final decision being the most cost-effective and viable for site.
What are the benefits?
Employing a third-party consultancy, such as the S2 Partnership, when changes are required to the water hygiene/Legionella control programme on-site can have the following benefits:
- making the wrong decision can be very costly in the long-run and is often only discovered with the aid of hindsight when it is too late. Our consultants have a wealth of knowledge and experience of both water treatment and water hygiene control programs and their independence and impartiality will help you make the right decision and avoid choosing unsuitable and costly options; and
- the whole process of implementing new strategies can be very time consuming and take away from any site/facilities manager’s core duties and activities. As independent, third-party consultants, we can shoulder much of the burden, ensuring that the whole process, from initial planning and design, through to implementation, installation and testing of any new strategy is as quick and problem free as possible.
How can the S2 Partnership help?
The S2 Partnership can provide comprehensive consultancy services from initial design stages through to the final stages of installation and implementation of any new strategy which involves the following:
- initial desktop exercise at the design stage to ensure that all possible viable options are considered. Detailed analysis of the pros and cons of each option will be outlined;
- costing/feasibility studies may be carried out for each potential option considered. Lifetime costings can be presented, outlining not only initial capital expenditure, but also ongoing costs such as routine maintenance, energy requirements, waste disposal costs, etc.;
- sourcing and vetting of suitable contractors, putting together tender proposals and reviewing any potential tender submissions;
- overseeing the installation of any new technologies and monitoring contractors during the installation/handover period;
- ongoing and additional monitoring of any new strategy; and
- updating policies, procedures, method statements and risk assessments to reflect all relevant changes.
The S2 Partnership is a registered Legionella Control Association provider of water hygiene management services including risk assessments, consultancy, training and analytical services.
Please contact us for more information.