Water Hygiene Auditing
What is it and why is it required?
As part of any water hygieneThe growth of bacteria in water systems is a common cause of potentially-fatal Legionnaires’ disease. Recent outbreaks of Legionella have highlighted the need for stringent water hygiene risk mana... risk assessment a full and thorough audit will be carried out of all activities relevant to water hygiene and Legionella control on site. This will include an audit of all sub-contractors’ activities and of the management programme and record keeping of the incumbent site/facilities manager.
Excluding high-risk sites, the basic requirement is to review a Legionella risk assessment every two years or in the event of significant changes on site. For added peace of mind and control, many sites prefer to carry out an additional audit at a frequency greater than every two years to ensure that everything is still running smoothly; that actions are being implemented according to relevant timeframes and to ensure water hygiene and Legionella control standards are being maintained.
In addition, an audit is often carried out in lieu of another external visit, from perhaps an Environmental Health Officer or possibly a Health and Safety Representative from one’s own company. Regular audits can act like a ‘pre-MOT’ to highlight where minor issues require attention, before they manifest into greater problems further down the line.
What are the benefits?
Employing the S2 Partnership to carry out regular water hygiene/Legionella audits on site has the following benefits:
- provides site managers peace of mind that tasks are being carried out to a timely and competent fashion by all sub-contractors used;
- highlights and addresses minor non-compliances before they manifest as greater problems further down the line;
- keeps all sub-contractors ‘on their toes’ in maintaining water hygiene standards; and
- ensures that external visits, for example by Environmental Health Officers, run as smoothly as possible.
How can the S2 Partnership help?
The S2 Partnership can provide expertly trained water hygiene/Legionella control consultants to attend site to carry out the following:
- check that all sub-contractors are carrying out their tasks to agreed timeframes and that all works are carried out by suitably trained and competent persons;
- scrutinise method statements to ascertain that they are site-specific and fit for purpose;
- act as the ‘eyes and ears’ of an Environmental Health Officer, to pre-empt and rectify any potential problems ahead of potential visits; and
- drill down into the minutiae detail of all policies and procedures to check that they are valid, relevant and adequately cover all activities carried out on site with regard to water hygiene and Legionella control.
The S2 Partnership is a registered Legionella Control Association provider of water hygiene management services including risk assessments, consultancy, training and analytical services.
Please contact us for more information.